Archive for December, 2006
December 27th, 2006
December 20th, 2006
Look into all of the groups that you belong to – whether it be your job, AAA, AARP, or even some of the services you belong to. Sometimes there are hidden discounts that they don’t actively promote, but can save you a lot. For example, some companies give their employees discounts on movies, museums, theme parks and more. AAA has discounts for it’s members at Barnes and Noble (5% only through their website), 10% off at Payless Shoes, 30% off of eye exams at Lenscrafters, along with other retail and travel discounts. [If you belong to AAA, you can go to AAA and check out Member Savings for even more discounts.]
Here is an extreme example. I just found out this week that by belonging to the same company (Cablevision) for cable TV, internet access, and phone service, that I’ll be able to get 2 free tickets to any Clearview Cinemas movie theater every week! Talk about a great savings!
This just goes to show that you can find discounts and ways to save from any group. It can’t hurt to check it out, it can save you a lot!
December 13th, 2006
Everyone wants to save money, but no one wants to change his or her lifestyle to do so. Many people think that the only way to save is to go without; Give up eating out at restaurants, stop going to the movies, stop shopping, etc. This is not the case! It is very simple to still enjoy going out, as well as save money. You just have to find ways to spend less while going out. Here are some examples:
When going to a restaurant:
· Always use coupons! I can’t stress that enough. There are many ways to find them. The Sunday paper usually has coupons for a few restaurants. Many restaurants send out coupons in the mail hoping to get you to visit them. The Entertainment Book has coupons for many restaurants. The restaurant’s own website might have a coupon that you can print out and bring in. Sometimes you will find coupons in their take-out menu. You will be able to save a few dollars just for taking a few seconds to look for a coupon.
· Share a meal. If you’re going out to dinner, many times you can get away with ordering one main course and an appetizer or salad and sharing them with your partner since the portions are so large. By splitting them, you will save a lot more then if you had each gotten your own meal, plus you will get more of a selection since you’ll get to taste both an appetizer and an entrée.
When wanting to see a movie:
· If you want to go to the movies, consider going during the day, or in the early evening. These are all considered matinee showings, and you will usually pay about half of the price you would pay at night! It doesn’t sound like that big of a savings, but if you go to the movies just once a month, you can save $54 a year per person. You’ll save even more if you go more often!
· If you want to save even more money, you can rent the movie once it goes to DVD. Many web sites will allow you to buy packs of 10 DVD rentals, and you will end up saving anywhere from $0.50-$1.50 per rental! This can really add up. If you rent one movie per week, you can save up to $78 a year! Also keep an eye out for coupons that allow you to rent one and get the second free.
There are many other simple things you can do to save money when going out to enjoy different forms of entertainment.
December 3rd, 2006
DisneyShopping is having a 2-day sale where you can get 40% off almost everything on the site. If you use code SEASONSALE in your cart, you will see the 40% being taken off. It works on sale stuff as well, and works on both the regular site and the outlet section on the website, making for an even better deal. Have fun!
December 3rd, 2006
It works!!! Scott went to Stop & Shop this afternoon, and this is what he purchased:
4 Edy’s Ice Cream (@2.69 each, regularly $5.39)
– a $1.00 coupon he used on 1 of the Edy’s Ice Cream
$9.76 (The total before savings was $21.56)
and he got a coupon for a free copy of Pirates of the Caribean and the Dead Man’s Chest (in other words…the second movie!) So the ad did indeed show the wrong movie…and now for $9.76 in ice cream (which we would have bought anyway), we will be getting a free copy of the movie on Tuesday!
December 1st, 2006
One of the things I’m currently Bzzing is Smartbargains.com. If you are a new customer, you can get 15% off new customer orders. If you are not a new customer, you can either email me, or leave a comment here, and I can give you a one time use code for 15% off your order.
We have had a few Smartbargains.com deals in our newsletter, because they usually have very good prices on things. A few weeks ago, they had a bunch of Women’s suits on sale for $99.00. If you were a new customer, it was an even better deal since you got the 12% (at the time) discount.
They have many different departments, and their prices are usually 40% – 70% off retail value. Also, you know the store Loehmann’s? They sell their stuff through Smartbargains, which means that they have stuff for sale from Calvin Klein, Nicole Miller, Kenneth Cole, Laura Ashley, Prada, Cuisinart, Tommy Hilfiger, DKNY, Movado, Samsonite, and many, many more name brands.
Stop and Shop (also Giant) has a deal going on that started today where you can get the first Pirates of the Caribbean DVD for free if you spend $20.00 on certain items like Edys ice cream, Lay’s potato chips, Frito-Lay baked items, Aquafina, and Gatorade. While yes, you do still have to spend money to get the DVD, you can get away with spending around $10.00 or so on the groceries (especially if you use coupons), and get the DVD for free! They will also give you a $10.00 discount on it if you only spend $10.00 on those items.
Since S&S and Giant always use pre-sale totals to calculate everything, you don’t have to spend much at all! For example, just using Edy’s ice cream since we love getting that…At my local store, the regular price is $5.69. It’s on sale this week for $2.85. If I buy 4 of them, even though I only spent $11.40 out of pocket, my “total” counts as $22.76, so I would get the coupon for the free DVD. If you have coupons, you can spend even less! I know that December’s All You magazine has a coupon for Edy’s ice cream. I haven’t gone through the other items yet, so there very well might be a better deal…but if you purchase any of these items on a regular basis anyway, and hadn’t bought the first DVD yet, what a great way to get a free DVD!